Monday, February 10, 2014

Valentine's Day | Opposites Attract

You know the saying, "opposites attract." There's something terribly romantic and exciting about two apparent polar opposites coming together. As if to say that love is really that powerful. Call me a romantic but I for one am a believer.

photo curtesy of ahouseinthehills.com














When you're talking fashion that is! Combining contrasting textures and opposing looks into one is what gets this fashionista-wannabe's heart racing every time. Take the gentle spills of soft fabric and pair it with the dark, hard bindings of black leather and you've got the undeniable makings of an exciting evening.


photo curtesy of http://carriechanchan.tumblr.com

Or how about opulent and heavy ornate lace.., it's feminine antique romance modernized by the casual ease of a favorite pullover. All to be stirred up again when introduced to the call of the wild...


Valentine's Day | Opposites Attract


Jewelry: Colby June branch cuffs | Jay + Renae Collective / Rebecca Scott Clear Quartz Tear Drop Earrings | Jay + Renae   


The simple unexpectedness of it all is what accounts for half of the intrigue. Like adding a feminine bow to an otherwise masculine cut of a jacket and pairing a pale flow of silk with the bondage of black leather. It's the play of hard against soft, smooth against rawness and feminine with masculine that lends excitement to these combinations. It gets my heart pounding every time.

I do have to wonder though how much of this obsession is really a reflection of my personal life. After all, I'm married to my polar opposite. He is gigantically tall while I'm petite. He's conservative while I call myself a progressive. I love to read - he likes to play ball (any ball game will do). I tend toward the serious side and to my chagrin, he jokes even at times of seriousness. I fancy myself the creative type - he's good with numbers...is it any wonder I fill my fantasy closet with opposing elements?

So on this Valentine's Day, what contrasting and opposing elements will you add to spice up your day?




No comments:

Post a Comment